Tuesday 3 March 2009

Death Note (live action film)

This doesn't happen very often
Somehow, I managed to watch a film on Film4 on Saturday, and it was this. I don't tend to have much luck watching stuff on Film4, because, well, my digital TV reception is really bad.

What is it?
This was a live action Japanese film based on a popular manga of the same name. It follows a law student, Light Yagami, as he discovers the Death Note, a book with the power to kill anyone whose name is written in it. Light uses the book, it seems at first, to kill those who have murdered others, but soon not everyone is grateful for what he is doing...

Parts I liked
I liked the CGI animation that they did for the death god Ryuk was really good. Some have said that it looked out of place, or wasn't well done, but I think he looked really good, for a god of death.

Having not read the manga or seen the anime TV series, I don't know what the characters were originally enviosned as. However, I think that L, the main character that sets out to chase down Light (whom the media and police dub Kira), is pretty funky. L appears to be addicted to junk food.

Going to watch the next one
I'm hoping that I'll be able to at least record the next one, which is being shown on Film4 this coming Saturday. There was an interesting story strand developing at the end of the first one.

Related links
Wiki entry on Death Note the film
Official American Death Note release website

No comments:

Post a Comment